A Slice of Heaven

I hope every one's weekend is going well. We don't have any snow, but it is very windy outside. 2 and 3 feet of snow does sound pretty fun though =)

Lydia and I have gotten over the stomach flu for good. I think she picked it up at a Mommy & Me group. Poor thing was vomiting and (the other end) for a couple of days. We ended up taking her to the hospital because we were afraid she was becoming dehydrated. They gave her some anti-nausea medicine and she cleared right up. Then I got the bug... oh it was not pretty. I took some of Lydia's medicine before bed and the next morning and that seemed to be the extent of mine. Russell never got it, lucky man.

I promise those crackers were not in that trash can. 

Russell had his re-enlistment ceremony on Monday. The CNO (Chief of Naval Operations) did his swearing in. It was nice. Only 10 more years left!! I can't believe we are halfway done. 

He was brave enough to hold Lydia for a picture haha. 

It was a good time. 
 Our Anniversary is Thursday! Do you know how difficult it is to make a reservation on Valentine's Day?! Last year we didn't make one, but ended up waiting an hour for a table. I told Russ just to take me to Cracker Barrel and I'd be happy haha. 

Look at that red hair!

Lydia has found her new favorite thing to do (playing in the dog's water bowl is still number 1), but its to be naked! As soon as her clothes and diaper come off she takes off a crawling around like its the best thing. I guess it's the "free" feeling. No accidents yet (fingers crossed).

She has also mastered clapping her hands. We sing Patty Cake every morning and she rolls her hands. Its cute!
Found you !

uh oh!

I am still making party decorations for her Birthday coming up. I ordered a banner and got it in the mail yesterday. I am so pleased with it, especially since we can use it year after year, AND it only cost me $2 plus shipping! What a great deal! Here is her invitation that I made.

So I baked something delicious last night. Well, delicious doesn't even begin to describe it. Russell spotted the recipe while browsing my Facebook (he deleted his). He said "We HAVE to make this Danielle! Come look! Oh my goodness!"  

So we made it last night and had to wait all night and all morning just to dig in. 

That my dear friends is a Banana Pudding Cheesecake. 

And yes, it tastes even better than it looks. 

It has a vanilla wafer and pecan crust, small chunks of bananas throughout, and is oh so creamy. All it was missing was meringue to make it an official banana pudding, but I didn't miss it one bit. 

Here is the recipe if you're interested in making one, and believe me...you are interested. =)

Recipe from Southern Living


  • 1 1/2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted 
  • 17 vanilla wafers
  • 2 large ripe bananas, diced 
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice 
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 3 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened 
  • 1 cup granulated sugar 
  • 3 large eggs 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup coarsely crushed vanilla wafers
  • Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, vanilla wafers, sliced bananas tossed in lemon juice


  1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 3 ingredients in a small bowl until well blended. Press mixture onto bottom of a greased and floured 9-inch springform pan. Stand 17 vanilla wafers around edge of pan (rounded sides against pan), pressing gently into crust to secure. Bake 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
  2. 2. Combine bananas and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 1 minute or just until sugar has dissolved.
  3. 3. Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer 3 minutes or until smooth. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Gently stir banana mixture into cream cheese mixture. Pour batter into prepared crust.
  4. 4. Bake at 350° for 45 to 55 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove cheesecake from oven; gently run a knife around edge of cheesecake to loosen. Sprinkle top of cheesecake with coarsely crushed wafers. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Cover and chill 8 hours.


Popular Posts